Lili's knitting, eh?

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

FO#1


Okay I'll try this posting thing again. It's taking me a while to figure it all out.

FO#1 was basically me learning how to knit. There's a few mistakes...especially with joining the grey on at the ends but all in all I'm pretty happy with it. It started out as a little joke that I was going to knit my oldest son (13) a nice big comfy sweater that said "Mommy loves Kyle" on it. As you can imagine he didn't think that was so cool. But the 7 year old thought it was a fabulous idea. I told him that I really didn't think that mommy could knit a sweater, but may be a little (by little I mean small, after all this is my first attempt here) blanket. Jacob thought the 'throw' was a fabulous idea. "But don't forget to put mommy loves Jacob on it" So then I had to tell him that that was just a weeeeeeee bit out of my skill range. "that's okay mommy..you can just write it on with marker" Awwwwwwwwwwww....now I ask you...is that sweet or what?


So here it is..




Note I did not write on it with marker...but he seems to be okay with that :).

All in all I am pretty happy with it, considering it was my first project. I put in a little design just to keep it interesting. The grey I added on at the end because I just felt it needed something. I did learn though (thanks Julie and Hooch!!) that when you add an extra stitch in there there is no need to rip out row after row after row. (Doh!!!!!) But hey...I guess it gave me a little more time to work on my knitting skills.

The one thing I found that being as I was just starting I bought my yarn at Walmart...just some cheapy stuff...Jacob picked out the colour. The first ball was really thick and the second ball was a lot thinner. If you look closely you can probably see that the top half of the throw is a lot bigger than the bottom half (well bottom 3 quarters really). Oh well...live and learn I guess.

Julie calls this 'the boring stuff'...I am too new to really go into any great detail so I will just say that I knitted with size 10 US needles, cast on 86 stitches, knitted about 20 stitches and then did a little patch of stockenette and back to the knitting. Nothing fancy but Jacob loves it (as you can see) and I am done. Finally! (Don't tell anyone but I started in January...let's just say I ripped out a lot of stitches...and trying to put the needle back in...eeeeesh!!!)



Also..I must add that we ran out of purple paint while painting the living room so we didn't worry too much about painting behind the radiator because you can't see it anyway...until you take a picture...ack!!! I totally didn't notice until I posted this pic...oh well..you get a nice before and after of the paint colour..lol.


Now...on to the next thing :)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home